In this quick video I explain how American schools have been resegregated even after Brown vs Board of Education.
If you’d like to know more about school choice, here’s some facts:
- Betsy DeVos and Donald Trump want vouchers to be used at private schools- places that can deny students on the basis of religion and sexuality
- Trump also wants vouchers to be used on for profit online schools and for profit charter schools, which have been shown to not be any better than public schools.
- The Trump Administration’s school choice plan will cost about 20 billion dollars, which is money we don’t have.
- Currently, vouchers in school choice states predominately go to low income students and students with disabilities. They do not cover full private tuition costs.
- Poorly designed, tough to navigate programs can be headaches for low income parents due to time and educational constraints
Further Reading and Viewing
- Doing School Choice Right
- What’s wrong with school ‘choice’? Here’s what.
- A resurgence of resegregation
- In an age of resegregation, these schools are trying to balance poor and wealthy kids